Friday, July 29, 2011

Spotify has Landed!

I was recently fortunate enough to be invited to Spotify, and for those of you who don’t have it yet, register. Now!

Spotify is similar to Grooveshark in the sense that you can search music online through Spotify's massive database. You can then build playlists of this music, and whenever you have internet access, you can listen to all of it. I forgot to mention the best part though: it’s free. There are subscriptions that you can pay if you want to avoid ads or download the music to your phone or iPod, but if you just enjoy listening to as much music as you want to on your laptop for free, with the ability to save playlists, then Spotify is perfect for you.

Another thing I love about Spotify is its connection with Facebook. Any of your Facebook friends who have Spotify show up on the right side of the screen, and you can drag and drop songs on their icon to send them music. So, if you want your best friend to know that you’re listening to “Party in the USA”, just drag and drop it into their profile. You can even send a message along with the song. For instance, in this example, you’d probably add, “I have terrible taste in music. I hope your ears bleed as much as mine do when I listen to this song on repeat. Have a nice day, buddy. <3”. Luckily, your friend doesn’t have to listen to the song if they don’t want to, but maybe it will be the perfect addition that they never even thought of for their Gangsta Rap playlist.

Another cool feature is the ability to share entire playlists, along with displaying your top songs and artists based on what you’ve listened to. Just a warning though, Spotify has some strange fascination with “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People. I listened to it twice and it’s my top song. Yet, no matter how hard I try, I can’t get Snoop Dogg on my top artists list…



So maybe they’re a little racist, but regardless, it’s a fantastic service and I would encourage everyone to sign up if they haven’t already. It’s a great way to discover new music and keep track of it so you can keep enjoying it.

You can register for Spotify here:  http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

Image courtesy of: www.celebrityhotnews.net

Carlin with Music

1 comment: